Wednesday, March 25, 2009

MSONDO MICS

I was sitting next to these musical instruments as The Msondo Band was setting up. Taking a good long look at them made wonder what it is like to live life as a musician. I have always wanted to be able to play an instrument, perhaps the guitar or keyboard. I realize now that time and aspiration is past.

A band is all about sound, sound carried by the "mic'.
The lineup. Stepping up to the mic is a weird experience. Almost 'out- of- world'. Walking up to a mass audience is unnerving. The best prepared notes can suddenly vanish in a jumble of skipped lines. The joke you practised all night in fornt of the mirror will be forgotten suddenly and the first greeting may illicit a stone silence from the audience!

I liked this shot, mic seemingly out of place but perhaps the sound man also doubles as a background singer?
The tent the band used was covered by a large Beer company banner. I saw many signs of past sponsorship or promotional shows by following the snaking wire of the microphone. Beer crates are also great for keeping the dust sensitive equipment off the ground.


However, I use the 'mic-rophone' a lot in my life, and my attention turned to the ones on the pictures. Hanging, strapped, jacked, dumped! It is perhaps the most vital piece for a band. As I was taking pics, I thought to myself, mmmh, if only the mic could talk back!

"Spot the Mic in the Tools Box"

No comments:

Post a Comment